Wednesday, June 22, 2016

A very tiny house

Here it is- my first ever miniature house! As you can see, it's a work in progress inside my  real tiny house, the small one-bedroom apartment that I live in with my husband and cat. This makes for a messy, multi-purpose workspace, but it gets the job done.



I'm making this house without a kit, without power tools, and without a dedicated workspace. I've found some great tutorials online, and hope to make some of my own as the house gets further underway. I've already begun thinking about my next project, too. I really like the modern Brookwood kit by Greenleaf.

For this house (which is obviously not the Brookwood), I began by searching for "free tiny house plans" and found this one from tinyhousedesign.com. I've modified the plan slightly; my house doesn't have an inset door, and is 8x15 instead of 8x16 (and that's inches for me, rather than feet). I'll include some rough drawings of my floorplan in a future post. 

My house's walls and floors are made from binder's board purchased at Blick. (cheaper version linked below). This was cheaper than the balsa or basswood typically used for model building, and I thought it might be easier to work with since an Exacto knife is my primary tool. 

And that's how the very tiny house began! I glued the base and three walls together with tacky glue, laid down the floor, and began framing the windows. A tiny house just doesn't feel complete without solar panels, so the biggest challenge may be the solar powered LED chandelier I plan to add to the main living area. More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment