Thursday, June 23, 2016

Dollhouse flooring from coffee stirrers

Did you know that you can buy a box of 1000 coffee stirrers on the internet? I made custom hardwood flooring for the very tiny house, and I've barely made a dent in the box.


It seems relatively common to create dollhouse hardwood flooring with craft sticks or tongue depressors. I decided to use coffee stirrers since they are a bit narrower and seemed more appropriate for the very tiny house. I'll be using the tongue depressor method for wall paneling, however.


No tutorial is really necessary here. I stained the coffee stirrers with a walnut gel-stain and glued them down with tacky glue. You might be able to glue the stirrers down first and then stain; I did not, since I'm not sure if this would cause the flooring to warp. The staining is a bit uneven, but I think this gives it that reclaimed-wood look that's so popular with the life-size tiny house crowd. Or at least that's what I'm going with.

When gluing, I started at the back and worked my way forward, careful to keep the stirrers relatively tight and the alignment at least visually even. Work from the centers outward and try to stagger the seams.

And a few hours later, you'll have somewhat realistic hardwood flooring! I've still got to do the same thing for the loft, but I think I'm off to a good start.



No comments:

Post a Comment